Crisis & Mental Health Resources / Recursos de crisis y salud mental:
- In case of an emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to any emergency room / En caso de emergencia, llame al 9-1-1 o vaya a cualquier sala de emergencias.
- CPS Student Safety Center: 773-553-3335 (Immediate safety need) (24/7)
- CPS Office of Student Health & Wellness: 773-553-KIDS (Health/COVID related questions/concerns)
- CPS Parent Support Center: 773- 534-1100 (Parent's access to information and resources)
- SASS (Screening, Assessment, and Support Services): 800-345-9049 (Mental health crisis screening) Click here for more information.
- NAMI Chicago Mental Health Resource Helpline (not 24/7) - 833-NAMI-CHI (626-4244)
- Call4Calm, a free emotional-support text line was created to serve Illinois residents. To connect with a counselor, people can text “TALK” to 5-5-2-0-2-0 or text “HABLAR” to the same number for counseling in Spanish. Users will remain anonymous, and the state has partnered with mental health organizations to have counselors respond. Once a resident texts the hotline, they’ll get a call from a licensed counselor within 24 hours.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 800-273-TALK(8355)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline - 800-656-HOPE(4673)
- The Trevor Project for LGBTQ Youth - Call 866-488-7386, text START to 6786678, or chat online by visiting their website.
- DePaul Counseling Services is offering free online counseling.
- Mosaic Therapy is offering free online stress and anxiety counseling for kids and families in Illinois
Relief Resources / Recursos de socorro:
- CPS Family and Community Resources (English)
- Covid19 Resources for Undocumented Immigrants (English/Spanish)
- City of Chicago COVID-19 Resources page (English/Spanish) - includes housing and financial resources, information for undocumented families, etc. The website has a language selection feature at the top.
- CTU Resources to Help Families During Covid Shutdown (English/Spanish)
- Covid19 Resources for undocumented communities
- CPS summer grab-and-go meal sites will be open Monday, June 22 through Friday, August 28, from 9 a.m.–1 p.m. every weekday. Find the most up-to-date list of meal sites near you at cps.edu/mealsites.
- CPS COVID-19 Food Delivery (English)
- See Jahn Family Solidarity Fund information below:
Social/Emotional Learning (SEL) Resources for Teachers and Families / Recursos de aprendizaje social / emocional (SEL) para maestros y familias:
- Jahn Community Journal: a great way to collectively document and process what is happening and how we are feeling about it in English/Spanish (responses will not be shared over summer break)
- Second Step Social Emotional Learning at Home: Resources for Remote Learning
- COVID-19 Second Step Response: Resources for Students and Families
- Free Centervention Social Emotional Activities
- Why Do We Lose Control of Our Emotions: YouTube Video: For students Grades 4-8
- Growth Mindset: ES and MS Activities (Khan Academy): For students Grades 4-8
- Storyline Online: Online SEL activities; ex: Empty Pot (Honesty), Someone Loves You Mr. Hatch (Kindness), Enemy Pie (Friendship), A Bad Case of the Stripes (Self-Confidence) for students Grades Pre-K to 3
- Sesame Street: Online SEL activities for students Grades Prek-1
- Howard B. Wigglebottom: Online pictures books read aloud, songs for students Grades K-2
- Daniel Tiger (PBS Kids): Interactive picture books read aloud, songs, interactive games for students Prek-1
- Epic! books: Online picture books and others for students 12 and under
- EVERFI: has 20 digital courses, including SEL courses, for 2-8th graders. Sign-up instructions for teachers and students.
- BrainPop Coronavirus: For Students 2-8, take the quiz after watching the video
Mindfulness for Kids / Mindfulness para niños:
- Smiling Mind - Smiling Mind is a great FREE mindfulness app/website for the whole family (Age 7+). You can create an account and on your dashboard choose YOUTH or FAMILY programs.
- Go Noodle: Movement and mindfulness
- Cosmic Kids - Yoga and mindfulness for kids ages 3+. It is a great way to get the whole family moving and has themes related to favorite characters such as FROZEN, HARRY POTTER, and others.
- FREE Mandalas
- FREE Podcasts from Bedtime FM: Includes bedtime stories to slow down and relax to a program called Peace Out to assist with calming and reducing anxiety as well as mindfulness.
- Calming Strategies for Home
- Social Emotional Learning Packet for Home
- FREE audible stories for the family!
- Virtual Calming Room
Online Safety and Etiquette / Seguridad y etiqueta en línea:
- BrainPop Digital Etiquette: For students Grades 3-8, take the quiz after watching the video and related readings.
- BrainPop Online Safety: For students Grade 3-8, take the quiz after watching the video and related readings.
Parent/Guardian Information / Información del padre/tutor:
- Say Their Names: A CPS toolkit to help foster productive conversations about race and civil disobedience
- Resources for Talking About Race, Racism, and Racialized Violence with Kids (Center for Racial Justice in Education)
- Additional Resources for Talking About Race and Racialized Violence
- Parenting in Support of Black Lives: How to Build a Just Future For Kids (and How Media Can Help)
- Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus: (Child Mind Institute)
- 8 Different Podcasts to listen to regarding Anxiety
- GoZen for PARENTS-Coronavirus and our own anxieties
- GoZen for Anxious Kids: This is if you feel you need more and are able/willing to pay for online help.
- Managing anxiety age by age: from Hey Sigmund. A guide about what to expect age by age around anxiety, strategies and tips on when to get help.
- Parenting in the time of Corona: Elementary School Children
- Parenting in the time of Corona: Preschool and Kindergarten ages
- Coronavirus Latest Updates and Resources (Understood by All)
Free Books, Social Stories, and Read Alouds / Libros gratis, historias sociales y lectura en voz alta:
- List of read alouds about race and racism
- George Floyd Social Story
- What is a Peaceful Protest Social Story
- Seeing Other People Wearing Masks Social Story (English & Spanish)
- Why We Stay Home: Suzie Learns about Coronavirus, by Samantha Harris & Devon Scott
- Time to Come in Bear: A Child's Story About Social Distancing
- Coronavirus Social Story
- Mrs. Soendergaard reading My Many Colored Days by Dr. Suess
Recommended Books to Talk about Worries / Libros recomendados para hablar sobre preocupaciones:
- Wilma Jean – The Worry Machine, by Julia Cook
- Not-So-Brave Penguin, by Steve Smallman
- Worry Says What? by Allison Edwards
- Saturday Is Swimming Day by Hyewon Yum
- Talk About The Monster by Mistofer Christopher
- When I Feel Scared by Cornelia Maude Spelman
- Something Bad Happened: A Kid’s Guide to Coping with events in the News, by Dawn Huebner -Ages 6-12. How to process different world events.
- What To Do When You’re Scared & Worried: A Guide for Kids by James J Crist -Ages 9-13. A help guide to processing fears and worries.
- Have You Filled A Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud -Encourages positive behavior and expressing kindness and appreciation
- How are you Peeling: Foods with Moods by Saxton Freymann & Joost Elffers -Explores how emotions look through pictures of Foods. A good way to talk about emotions with young kids.
- The Way I Feel by Janan Cain -Explores Feelings. A good way to talk about emotions with young kids.
- A Terrible Thing Happened by Margaret M Holmes -Ages 4-8. A story for children who have witnessed violence or trauma.
Additional Activities / Actividades adicionales:
- Free and fun online enrichment learning opportunities
- Virtual field trips to Chicago’s most iconic museums and cultural institutions
- Virtual Field Trips: Check out this link to explore museums and zoos around the world!
- Virtual online summer camp
- Build stories through the Chicago Public Library's Summer Learning Challenge
- Fine Arts and Wellness (FAW) Team Remote Activities: Check out these awesome activities created by Jahn's FAW team
High School and Post-secondary Preparation / Preparatoria y preparación postsecundaria:
- Naviance: Students in 6-8th grade can log in and work on their Independent Learning Plans. There are career and interest inventories available. Students have multiple tasks that have been assigned to them that they can complete online. / los estudiantes en los grados 6-8 pueden iniciar sesión y trabajar en sus planes de aprendizaje independiente. Hay inventarios de carreras e intereses disponibles. Los estudiantes tienen múltiples tareas que se les han asignado que pueden completar en línea.
- GoCPS: Middle School students can familiarize themselves with the online search function on the GoCPS website to research Chicago high school options. / los estudiantes de secundaria pueden familiarizarse con la función de búsqueda en línea en el sitio web de GoCPS para investigar las opciones de secundaria en Chicago.
- CPS Scholarship Workbook: Click on the elementary school tab for more information. Some deadlines are just around the corner. / haga clic en la pestaña de la escuela primaria para obtener más información. Algunos plazos están a la vuelta de la esquina.
- Attention 7th grade families! / ¡Atención, familias de séptimo grado !: Activation codes to set up your GoCPS accounts to apply to high school will be distributed by mail in late summer or early Fall. The district has yet to decide on how eligibility for high school will be determined due to the school closure this year. When information becomes available, I will send it your way. In the meantime, please be sure to subscribe to the GoCPS mailing list here and continue to research best fit high school programs this summer. / Los códigos de activación para configurar sus cuentas de GoCPS para aplicar a la escuela secundaria se distribuirán por correo a fines del verano o principios del otoño. El distrito aún tiene que decidir cómo se determinará la elegibilidad para la escuela secundaria debido al cierre de la escuela este año. Cuando la información esté disponible, la enviaré a su manera. Mientras tanto, asegúrese de suscribirse a la lista de correo de GoCPS aquí y continúe investigando los mejores programas de preparatoria este verano.