Dear Jahn Community,
Welcome back! We are very excited to start a new school year. We have been working hard this summer to plan for an amazing year. Below are a few highlights for the upcoming year.
- Transition to a Fine Arts School
- New website and logo for Jahn and Friends of Jahn
- Partnership with University of Chicago for K-2 STEP Assessment
- Partnership with DePaul University for music instruction
- Urban Initiatives for structured recess and athletic programming
- Partnership with Yale Alumni for tutoring
- YMCA After School Programming
- Increased enrollment school wide
We have several new staff members to introduce. Please welcome the following:
- Resham Hai, PreK Learning Specialist
- Terra Ellington, 1st Grade
- Danielle Volanti, Primary Learning Specialist
- Kathleen Pastorelli, Middle School Learning Specialist
- Lisa Gschwind, PreK Teacher Assistant
- Nancy Velazquez, Teacher Assistant
Be sure to sign up for an account on the CPS Parent Portal. This website allows you to track your child’s grades and attendance on an ongoing basis. Go to cps.edu/parent to sign up.
Consider joining our parent/community group called Friends of Jahn (FOJ). They meet every month with the purpose of outreach and fundraising. The co-chairs this year are Kelly Vincent and Dan Binder. The first meeting of the year is September 8th at 6pm in room 104.
Back to School Night is September 22rd from 5:30 – 6:30pm. Mr. Herring will begin with a short presentation in the auditorium at 5:30pm, then families will move to the homerooms to hear about the curriculum and instruction.
Save the date for our annual Pumpkin Patch fundraiser. The event will be October 15th.
Our attendance goal for this year is 96%. We will have weekly and monthly incentives for students who come to school everyday, including iPads, tablets, gift cards, and other prizes.
As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns.